Thursday, September 15, 2011

European Bistro


When I want to take my taste buds on a trip to wonderland, European Bistro is where we go!

This is my absolute FAVORITE restaurant!  The food there is AMAZING!  And the charming waitstaff and ambiance only add to the sparkle of this little gem.  It is Hungarian, Czech, and German faire.  Taste it once, omg you will just DIE!  You will die and go to food paradise!

I have sampled a majority of the menu, but if there's anything that you simply must try-it's the pierogis!  They are like little pillows of savory dumpling heaven!  They have both beef and lamb, the beef are my fav.  I could eat 20 of them in one sitting.  They come 4 to an order and are served with a delicious dill-sour cream dipping sauce.  I dream of pierogis from European Bistro!  I also recommend the cucumber salad as well.  I have tried numerous times to recreate it at home and as simple as this dish is-the folks at European Bistro possess a certain finesse and I have never been able to make mine come out like theirs.

I think my favorite entrees are:
1. Chicken Paprikas-yummy, tender, fall-off the bone chicken with homemade spaetzel in a sauce of sourcream and paprika.   It's comfort food to the max!
2. Cabbage rolls-scrumptious, and just like everything here-the presentation is so fun and enticing!  The saurkrout served with it is legendary.  I have also tried to recreate it and failed miserably.
3. The schnitzel-the jagerschnitzel is my favorite!  It's tender and fried beautifully

The deserts are another wonder to behold.  They put them in a case and you can go look at all the different goodies they have.  They make everything from crepes to black forest cake to fresh pastries and kolaches.

The building itself is charming and super cute.  On Fridays, a nice old man comes and plays the baby grand piano.  When you come here, you feel like you've escaped life for a while.  They have special menus for all the holidays, too!  In addition to the regular menu they feature things like beef stroganoff and beef welington-my husband got the special last time and it was incredible.  A 4-day marinated beef potroast with potato dumplings and red cabbage.  It was awesome, of course we knew it would be like anything else they have there.

Sadly, it's been pretty slow the past few times we've been in.  I would be crushed if the place ever closed down.  I wish more people would check this place out.  It's such a great place!  Yeah, it's a little out of the way for you folks in Austin.  Luckily, we just moved to Pflugerville and it's like 10 minutes away from us now.  But, when we lived in Austin, I gladly drove 30-45 minutes for this place.  So go try it out!  It also gets high marks for being the most charmed, cozy romantic date destination, but can also be enjoyed in the company of good friends =)

No comments:

Post a Comment